Thursday, August 16, 2012

Recrap Thursdays: I'm Sassified

I was wrong everyone, I was wrong and I am oh-so-sorry because the truth is just that much better. Before I let you all into why I am wrong I would like to discuss a couple of other things. First, I think that TLC is changing my life, like literally day-by-day making it better and worse at the same time. This channel started off as "The Learning Channel" and now it is the creator of Train Wrecks galore. As I sat down to watch this weeks episodes of my new favorite show "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" they played a series of commercials coming this fall. Let me tell you, don't be surprised if I never leave my house. Below are just a couple of the ones I might start watching religiously (i.e. missing social events, canceling dates, calling into work sick, and becoming a reality T.V. recluse)

  • Abby and Brittany- It's about two girls. They share a body. (Whhhhhaaaatttt) They have two heads and one of everything else. All the cameras are going to do is follow them around and see what crazy hijinx these crazy girl(s) get into as people stare at them and they do normal tasks. Now, before you begin getting all "Fabulous, that's terrible they are making them a freak show", every single person on that channel signed contracts. They are getting paid, lots of money. Hell, I'd let someone stare at me for 30-60min a week if I was making loads of money (*cough cough*  Bravooo *cough cough*)

  • Breaking Amish- I love that they chose a title that would make people think of the show that is about the meth-dealing former science teacher (Breaking Bad). I love to know everything about being Amish. I am fascinated by it and confused by it at the same exact time. MTV did a True Life episode about people who were ex-Amish a few years back and I have probably watched it 5 or 6 times, easily. I love all of the Dateline, 20/20, and other "real news" shows that feature stories about the Amish. I especially enjoy learning about the teens who go off on a "rumspringa", which basically means that they choose to be baptized within their church....or leave. They also have to choose at 16. SMART MOVE AMISH PEEPS. Who, at 16, is stable enough to be like "Peace fam, I'm gonna support myself with no high school degree and absolutely no idea how technology works." Anywhoz, this show is about Amish peeps leaving their Amish lives and exploring New York City. (I'm already hooked)

(A thousand times yes to everything in this photo)

They have a slew of other slightly deplorable shows in their line-up returning from last year that will be sporadically added to the mix of reality drudge I watch on a regular basis. I just want to personally thank TLC for allowing me to learn about things I never knew existed, and teaching me absolutely nothing that I can use in real life. Bravo, you dirty girl, bravo. 

Now....onto.....Honey Boo Boo!

I thought last week was a 2fer because it was the season premier, little did I know upon arriving home from my rowdy night at the local movie theatre, there were TWO back to back episodes of Honey Boo Boo for me to watch. I was elated, scared, and ready for my new favorite night of the week to begin. Each episode begins with a shot of the entire family smiling, interrupted by Mama's passing gas and the family breaking up in disgust. (How can you not be captivated by this?) The magic only continues on from there and I was on the edge of my seat. 

I have decided I want to be Alana's (Honey Boo Boo herself) best friend. This girl is HIGHsterical and constantly shooting zingers out at the family over random things. She enjoys and embraces being a redneck almost as much as her mother. Her best friends are her sister Chubbs and her pig Glitzy. I would like to be added to that list. 

In the first episode of the evening (entitled "She Oooo'd Herself), we are taken on a trip to the local Piggly Wiggly so Mama can do some extreme couponing to save money for Alana's upcoming pageants. The issue I have with her extreme couponing is that Mama is buying things she doesn't need. She saves all of these coupons and hopes to save lots of money, and whatever she "saves" she puts towards Alana's pageants. But she isn't really "saving" because she is getting things like free toilet paper (which we find out she has enough for the entire state of GA for at least six months). We find out in the episode, that Mama, is actually fairly good at math...but only when it comes to finding out pricing...she can't handle it outside of the grocery store. (She also has a glorious "math coupon" face)
(There was a noise that went with it too...)

After we are taken on the couponing adventure we get a sneak peak at the new coach that they have hired to help Alana become the Grand Supreme at the "Rock Star Pageant." (This is what the whole season is leading up to and it makes my heart sing. Can.Not.Wait.) The coach is this intense woman with massive facial expressions who is apparently "world-renowned" as a pageant coach. They practice inside of, what I can only assume, is the coach's home which is a wood cabin of sorts with lots of animal heads. Alana also has an adorable moment when the coach asks her if she knows who Elvis is and Alana responds with:

Alana: Elvis is....is...Santa Claus' Helper. Sugar Bear told me so, so that's who he is.

Now, Sugar Bear (her dip-chewin' semi-mute of a father) is obviously terribly wrong, but it's in these moments where you realize she is a six-year old girl and not just the catchphrase-making dolled up girl TLC has created. 

We cut to the kitchen of their house (which is surrounded by an over abundance of things due to the couponing and the lack of places to put things.) and it is that time of the week for all of them to weigh-in. In the last episode they decided to do a weight loss challenge with Chubbs and Mama, no terms were set and there was no prize at the end....but it was listed as a challenge nonetheless. Both of them had moved down and were celebrating their weight loss when Glitzy, the family's new pig, decided it was time to release himself. (Alana decided last week that Glitzy was going to be a "gay pageant pig" and she was going to refer to him as her). This caused the family to freak out and back away from the table as Alana exlaimed:

Alana: We put Glitzy on the table....and she ooooo'd herself

Ahh, how wonderfully pleasant it must be to live in this house. Just as fast as we had a bonding moment over weight loss, we are taken across town to Mama's moms house for Chickadee's babyshower. (How could we forget the 17yr old pregnant sister?!?!). As they are setting up for the babyshower we are listening to Mama talk about her life as a teen Mom.

Mama: I had Chickadee when I was fifteen and it was real hard. Her baby daddy isn't in the picture and neither was mine. We gonna help her with what we can but she gonna have to take care of her self. You done the deed, you do the time.

Beyond the gramatical mishaps plaguing this interview, I was caught off guard by the fact that she said Chickadee's father wasn't in the picture. But...but...I thought Sugar Bear was the father of all her babies. I'm left feeling lost, confused, betrayed, and a little angry with Sugar Bear...but I don't know exactly why I am angry at him. 
(Classic Dawson)

Anywhoz, Chickadee has a super redneck babyshower that is sweet...but they also had baby bottle drinking contest. The first episode comes to a close with Chickadee cursing about how much she hates Glitzy, who squealed her/his way through the entire shower. 

The second episode, entitled "I'm Sassified" was definitely my favorite of the two episodes. This whole episode, more-or-less, focused on Mama and Sugar Bear's eighth anniversary. Hold up, hold up, hold up. Wtf? How can they only be together 8 years? There daughters are 17, 15, 12, and 6. If my math is as good as Mama's couponing, which I believe it is, that means Sugar Bear is only the father of Alana. 

Turns out, my math is right. Mama explains that Sugar Bear is only the father of Alana and that the other girls all have different baby daddies. (I am at a complete and utter loss as to how I am completely single, yet this one has had 4 baby daddies since she was 15. Amurika.) And that, ladies and gents, is how I was wrong. I just ASSUMED that redneck love was stronger than the rest of our love. I just ASSUMED Sugar Bear and Mama had a relationship that bordered on super creepy. I just ASSUMED and when you ASSUME, you make an ass out of you. (Not me, because...well. eff you).  Sugar Bear has so much play time in this episode and it is just so wonderful. He is full of his own gemz, when you can understand him through his dip chewing and mumbled expressions of love for Mama.

To prep Alana for her pageant and to do something nice for all of the girls, Mama takes them all to the spa to get facials/pedicures. This is a sweet gesture, which means that something has to happen that is freakish or weird...and oh, does it deliver. Mama and Alana  are shown first getting facials and having a nice moment before they cut to the other girls getting pedicures. In between moments of the girls saying and doing ridiculous things, they show one of the pedicurists, who has a look of sheer disbelief, explaining how it was dealing with all of these women. She kept saying, "They all have such big personalities, I think I should go home." (Oh, pedicurist, they just made you famous, the most famous you will be that is,...just hush now...shhh just let it happen)

It's at this point that we find out that Mama has forklift foot. (I just, I just don't know, I just can't) Which she explains in detail to the pedicurist.

Mama: A few years ago, when I was working in the factory, a forklift ran over my foot. And now I have Forklift Foot. I never take off my socks or show people my feet. 

So, we finally found the line Mama won't cross on this show, and that's showing her forklift foot. She will exploit her family, herself, her town...but forklift foot is OUT of the question. Good to know Mama, good to know. At the end of the spa visit the woman asks them if they feel "Beautimous." Now, I thought this was something that Mama made up last week when she talked about her "vajiggle jaggle" (Which is what she calls all of the skin that encompasses her three chins...her words, not mine). Apparently, many people in the south say things like "Let's get beautimous" or "I feel beautimous". I am extremely intrigued...is this true? Do people really use this to describe themselves? HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT.
(This is what I think Mama would look like if she was all done up...)

Anywhoz, the girls get Mama all gussied up for her date and Sugar Bear drives her to a cafeteria-esque place. They cut to interviews with both of them discussing how they came together and fell in love. 

Sugar Bear: It was love at first sight. I have asked her to marry many times, if she ever says yes I will do it in a heartbeat.

See what Mama says about the whole thing:

Mama: Was it love at first sight? No. Was it bed at first sight? Maybe. Gotta test the milk out before you buy the cow. 

And there you have it, now we understand why Mama has 4 baby daddies and why this last one has stuck around for so long. Sugar Bear gives Mama a brass deer that she openly tells him is a foolish gift and he should've gotten her candles. Sugar Bear explains in an interview that he got it for her because it represents the times they have spent hunting, chopping, carving, cooking, and eating roadkill over the last 8 years. (This is oddly romantic....well as romantic as you can be when discussing roadkill). They eat their dinners and "try to be romantic" with Sugar Bear getting "smooches" every once in while...in between Mama missing her mouth and having a hard time using the fork. 

Meanwhile, back at the house, the girls are tee-peeing the house with some of the rolls of toilet paper that Mama has gotten for free from the Piggly Wiggly. Alana lets the audience know that this is their gift to them for their anniversary. Only would a redneck think that vandalism is the proper gift for an eighth anniversary. (Don't they know paper is the 1st anniversary gift). Mama arrives back home and is NOT happy with anything that has happened. Sugar Bear, on the other hand, finds this all so amusing. So much so that he takes time out of his dip chewing to let us know. How sweet. 

Mama: You just wasted 6 months of toilet paper. Thats six months of butt wiping. 
Girls: It's free. You got it for free. We didn't waste your money. You never appreciate us. 

I will remember that tee-peeing your parents house is how you show appreciation. Sorry Mom and Dad, I promise to use Charmin's Ultra Soft Brand.

The episode closes out with them going to get Alana a new dress for her pageant. She ends up sassing the dress maker as Mama sits back and laughs. They also decide to get a dress made for Glitzy so they can incorporate him/her into the next pageant routine. All good pageant winners have pigs in their routines. All of them. 

Tomorrow, I will update you with some love-life type things and continue this beautiful disaster I call life. OH...next week I will be posting a drinking game for Honey Boo Boo....so get ready to get SLOSHED on a Wednesday....or whenever you DVR it for. 

Honey Boo Boo: tricking a nation and making millions
GA: Getting a bad rap
Glitzy: Needz to call animal control
Fabulous: Shock. And. Awe. 




1 comment: