Over the years I have always prided myself on the fact that I have been completely and totally honest with all of my friends and family. If people ask me about my coming out experience, I have gladly recounted every detail (because why wouldn't I want to talk about myself endlessly?). There are some terms in that are very specific for the gay community that we have decided to adapt to mean new and weird things. It's away of further segregating ourselves into groups within our own, already segregated, group (SUPER HEALTHY). I just thought it would be lovely to include all of you in on these terms, because as we begin to force equality on America...these terms might become more prevalent. Basically I am your "Gay Mr. Miyagi", except 10x cuter...and not Asian...or ancient. (fahhhk, ok I am just your gay sansei. OK?) So here it goes, here are the terms of the gays.
(RAINBOW SHOOTING CHOPSTICKS!! ok I never claimed to be good with photoshop)
(Little Jesse McCartney was such a twink. I was in love with him at 15. I don't wanna talk about it)
2. Bear - This is where things get a little weird. (Whaaaat??? They weren't weird with Twink??) For some reason, unbeknownst to me, many moons ago the gays decided that their subgroups needed to be aligned with animals. Maybe it is because we are animalistic creatures who enjoy a good time. Maybe it's because we got lazy after coming up with Twink, that the idea of going all Shakespeare on the gay community was a little too much for us. I will never know the right answer, but I can most certainly report on these oddities and their definitions. Anywhoz, a Bear is generally a bigger, hairy, gay man (Think lumberjack). There is some debate within the community about whether someone who is not "bigger" can be considered a Bear if they are just muscle-y and hairy. Due to the inner feuding over this prestigious title, you will hear someone who has lots of muscles, but isn't overweight, being referred to as a Muscle Bear. Either way, you kinda get the picture. Bears are manly men. (oh, and if you are a young bigger guy, you are referred to as a Cub)
(This is a real movie. It is available on Netflix. I thoroughly enjoyed it, so suck it)
3. Otter - What is with this madness around animals??? I have no idea. Anywhoz, an Otter is a skinny hairy man (We realllllyyy focus on the hair thing). This is a term, frankly, that I discovered middle of last year. I chuckled when I heard it....
(Um, so you can probably imagine a skinny hairy guy. LOOK AT THIS CUTE OTTER? What a darling)
4. Drag Queen/ Transgender - The reason I put these two things together is because they are two completely different things that people seem to confuse on the reg. A Drag Queen is a man who dresses up as a woman (Did you see how I didn't use a "gay" man...cause straight peeps do it too). A person who is Transgender is someone who identifies with the anatomy of the sex they weren't born with. Therefore a Trans Man is a man who was born with a vagina, but their gender identity is that of a male. BOOM. MIND BLOWN. YOURE WELCOME. (Also...don't use trannie, it is super derogatory.)
(Fabulous show. Ridiculous contests. AMAZING guest hosts)
5. Gold Star Gay - This refers to a gay man who has never slept with, or really done anything sexually, with a female. Some gay men will try to make themselves seem more experienced with women by calling themselves "Silver Star" or "Bronze Star" depending on how far they have gone with women. It's another foolish competition that I have most certainly fallen into the traps of. I am pretty much a Gold Star Gay. At this point in my life I am fairly allergic to vagina.
(Vagina free since....well for a very long time)
6. Breeder - This may come as a shock to some, but this is a gay term for straight people. It's kind of like our way of calling straight people Muggles (cause everything comes back to Harry Potter). If you haven't figured it out yet, straight people are called Breeders because they are able to procreate the traditional way. Some say it out of disgust "Ewww, this place is crawling with Breeders, let's go." While others, like myself, use it in a very matter of fact way, "I have many breeder friends who are not ready to breed just yet."
(the gayest superhero duo to ever exist...)
7. Fruit Fly- This is another term that generally refers to a straight person. This is a much nicer way of saying F** Hag, which I loathe with every bone in my body. Basically, a straight female who spends all of her time with gay men and seems to attract gay best friends on the reg can be referred to as a Fruit Fly. Some famous Fruit Flies include Kathy Griffin, Cher, and Grace Adler.
(But, like, I love her. #typical)
Let's go ahead and treat this as a Gay Urban Dictionary, Pt. 1, because there are plenty of other terms that we use and categories we separate ourselves into to make life more complicated.
Also...I think I am going on a second date with an OkCupid guy... WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TOO??? I'll explain more next week.
Gay Community: Full of hierarchies that all finish with someone on the bottom *wink, wink, nudge nudge* (Get it??hehehe)
Fabulously Lost: Just looking for my love connection and maybe a fruit fly or two along the way.
Breeders: Welcome here, but not everywhere. (HOW DOES IT MAKE YOU FEEL??? Ok, so if you are reading this blog, you probably aren't the ones who are unwelcoming to gay people. I get it. I'm sorry. Now I feel bad. Ughhh)








"Twink" does in fact have plenty to do with "twinkie". Twinkie was the term for an attractive young gay guy barely two decades ago. Do your homework before you profess to be authority in a dictionary. Gay bookstores once sold a board game called Twinkies and Trolls. A troll was the opposite of a twinkie--usually an older, unattractive man with a pot belly. Knowledge is power, kid--get it.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete