So yesterday I mentioned, in my Award Winning Blog (I am going to ride that one for awhile, just an FYI), 11 facts about myself that you may or may not have known about me. I also promised that I would write posts about each of these facts because they warrant further examining by you lovely people. Well, I would like to take some time to address fact number 11.
- I have three songs that I am convinced I can sing and would get me a record deal if the right people heard me sing them. I cannot sing any other songs. I would be a three hit wonder. (One of the songs is from Rent...so a 2-hit wonder)
(Just me and Simon, fighting off the haters.)
So these three songs, when they are on, sing to my soul. It isn't because I can directly relate to them or because I feel like they are musical gems in the grand history of music. It is because every time I hear them, I sing with every fiber in my body and I feel as though I have hit every single note perfectly, sometimes better than the original artist. Is this a little crazy? Yes. Is it plausible that I can hit all of these notes and be the best singer that no one has ever heard? No. But in my head, I have a Grammy and a Tony. Soooo...Jokes on you.
This is such a big deal for me guys. I have never told anyone my secret fact about the songs I am able to sing. You can't request them. I can only sing them when I feel moved...or when I am alone. Ok, here it goes. Judgement free zone, right? (I can feel you nodding your heads with your fingers crossed behind your backs. Scoundrels.)
1. Will I? - Rent : Real talk, I am obsessed with this musical like most musical theatre nerds. (Why yes, that is the theatre snob way to spell THEATRE. Suck it). When I first saw this musical I was 13 and I fell in love with every single character. I don't think I fully understood how dark and depressing a majority of the musical is. (For those who don't know...it's about a group of young people in NYC dealing with the HIV/AIDs crisis of the 80s. SUPER uplifting for a confused gay teenager). Anywhoz, it wasn't until my junior year in high school that I had this magical gift to sing this song. It is the simplest song, lyrically, in the musical but had the most profound impact on me. I began putting it on all of my mix CD's (because that was a thing back then. PRE-ipods/playlists all you young whippersnappers) I would belt it as I drove down the road in my 1995 Nissan Altima with a rainbow bumper sticker plastered on the back. (I was big into "Statement" pieces). To this day, when the song comes on, I lose all focus on what else is going on and begin trying to match the pitch of the artists singing the song.
(Holy ballz guys, when I found this video of Canada's "So You Think You Can Dance" team doing it...I just about lost my shit. I also just lost 20min of my life doing the arm movements at my table. I am a dancer in training)
2. White Christmas - by Any Male Artist - This one should come as less of a surprise for you guys considering your vast knowledge of my intense love of Christmas. This was another high school discovery of mine (STOP THE PRESSES... Angst ridden teen finds himself in theatre and music.) Growing up my voice has always held itself slightly above what is considered "normal" for boys and men. (I am all for redefining "normal" but when I was 14....my voice was far from the "normal" octave) The only time that I found my voice actually sounded better normal was when I was in musical theatre. My teacher in 9th grade told me to sing in more of a tenor or baritone (i.e. fairly low)
Around Christmas time, again my junior year, I was joking around with my bffl and singing this song in the car. She freaked out (in a good way) because my voice hit an all time low. Well, I joke sang it at lunch the next day (because I wanted the same attention) and this kid, Mike, turned and was like "SHIIIIIT, I want you to sing at my wedding one day." I laughed it off and told him he was ridiculous...then ran home and wrote about it in my journal. (Facts: Mike got married earlier this year. I was not invited to sing at his wedding. Asshole)
3. Back Here - BBMak - What? How can you not remember this wonderful British boy band? Yes, they may have been one-hit wonders. Yes, this song did come out almost 13yrs ago. Yes, I first heard this song on Now, Volume 5. (Ugh, that Now was so good! N*Sync, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Aaron Carter, Jessica Simpson, Mandy Moore, Destiny's Child, and 98°. I think they peaked on Vol. 5) So, you may ask, why did I choose Back Here as the song I would hit every note and sound like an angel while singing, when I had so many other gems to choose from? Well, the answer is simple, I DIDN'T CHOOSE THE SONG! It chose me. It. Chose. Me. Sorry, I'm not sorry about this.
I was working on my British accent at the time (because my phone was ringing off the hook with people wanting to hang out with me) and I just felt an extreme connection to the three lads singing this song. For the last 13 years, when I hear this song, I am immediately brought back to my childhood bedroom where I sat on the floor reading the lyrics off the pamphlet insert, memorizing every single word. I sing for that 11yr old boy. I sing to cure broken hearts. I sing to stop world wars. I succeed.
Chorus: Until you're back here baby, Miss you, Want you, Need you so.
I mean, I don't really know why they didn't get a Grammy. It's mind-boggling to me.
So there it is, those are the three songs that define the early part of my life and are what will, one day, gain me fame and glory among the music community. Don't you worry your pretty little head, this guy is on his way. WATCH OUT BIEBER!
Fabulously Lost: The next Kelly Clarkson....or Rebecca Black
Rent: A positive musical about AIDs
White Christmas: Magical in so many ways
BBMak: Truly fabulously lost in the pile of one-hit wonders

No comments:
Post a Comment